Thursday, January 17, 2008

New Year, New List

Forget about the holiday reading list. That was way optimistic. Here's the list of books I'm currently reading and that maybe I'll get a chance to write about sometime:

Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser. Not that Carrie is all that interesting on her own, but I think the purely naturalistic approach we're taking to it in my American Novels class should be okay...different than my last professor's view, anyway.

A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf. Virginia Woolf is brilliant, and this is an awesome read regarding women and fiction in all of their connections. Not that I agree that Jane Austen wasn't the literary genius Charlotte Bronte was (something Woolf argues for several times), but the general idea is fantastic.

Witness by Whittaker Chambers. The blurbs on the back of this book claim they are going to change my life. We'll see -- but the forward, written as a letter to Chambers' three children, is incredibly powerful and very moving. It's dense and kind of a tough read, but I think it'll be good.

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. Apparently he died recently? Anyway, had this on my shelf for about a year and haven't read it yet, so I decided that's my new bedtime read. Don't expect me to finish this one anytime soon -- it's good, but I have about 700 pages to read for Tuesday, so this one might be put on the back burner.

There's the new list! I had better make it allllll the way through this one...

No comments: